Throughout the month, you will see me talk about some of the different national month and day celebrations associated with October. There’s so many for each month, and October happens to have many causes that are near and dear to my heart. (Blogtober was meant for me.)
Let’s talk Emotional Wellness.
Stress can have adverse effects on our physical health, and when left unchecked, it can lead to chronic conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and obesity. To raise awareness about the importance of mental well-being, October is observed as Emotional Wellness Month. Learn a bit about mindfulness. Take a break from your hectic schedule. Slow down a little. Breathe.
When you live long enough, you learn that no matter how much you plan or do, life happens. There’s death, loss of relationships, problems at work, kids not doing what they’re supposed to do, money gets short, plans fall through-to name a few. Chances are many of you can add so much more to the list from things happening in the past week alone.
Some things we can adjust and make work, sometimes things are just out of our control. It’s how you deal with those things that determine your emotional health.
The National Institutes of Health (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) defines emotional wellness as the ability to successfully handle life’s stresses and adapt to change and difficult times.
For me, emotional wellness begins with knowing yourself and being honest with yourself. Knowing what you like and don’t like, what makes you genuinely happy and what causes feelings of anxiety. Being honest entails knowing these things and taking the best steps to improve you as a person.
Here are a few ways for you to celebrate Emotion Wellness throughout the year:
- Constant reflecting and adjusting as needed will keep you aware of the direction you’re going in.
- Expand your knowledge, skills, or creativity in areas that interest you.
- Fostering positive relationships with others and knowing when to let go of the relationships that drain you physically, spiritually, and emotionally.
- Eating healthy and exercising.
- Getting to know yourself enough to know what makes you feel good and what doesn’t.
- Self Care-whatever that looks like in your world.
Here’s to being emotionally well and celebrating day 4 of Blogtober!