Today, August 9th is National Book Lovers Day!
National Book Lovers Day sounds just like the name. It’s a day to celebrate books and promote a love of one of my favorite things-reading books!
“Books are the purest form of escapism. They can take you to any time, place, or culture. In honor of National Book Lovers Day August 9th, we put away our smartphones, pull out a good book, and simply read. (Well, an audiobook will suffice too.) From clay tablets to today’s eBooks, literature has played a crucial role in preserving cultures, educating the masses, and storytelling.” – https://nationaltoday.com/national-book-lovers-day/
Although I love printed books, one of my favorite things right now are ebooks. I typically order books through Amazon to download to my Kindle app or borrow them from my local library through the Overdrive App.
Below, in no particular order, are a few of my favorite books. 11 out of 13 books feature black authors.
1. The Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley
2. God Help The Child by Toni Morrison
3. Women Murder Club Series by James Patterson
4. Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
5. Higher Is Waiting by Tyler Perry
6. The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir by Jenifer Lewis
7. Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson
8. Men Cry In The Dark by Michael Baisden
9. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
10. I’m Ready For My Close Up by Malacka Reed
11. The Autobiography of Gucci Mane by Gucci Mane, Neil Martinez-Belkin
12. Decoded by Jay-Z
13. Peace from Broken Pieces by Iyanla Vanzant
Here are a few ways you can celebrate National Book Lovers Day:
1. Visit your local library or bookstore.
2. Share your favorite books and authors on social media.
3. Donate books to schools, shelters, hospitals, prisons, or an organization of your choice.
4. Reread one of your favorites.
5. Contact your favorite author-anything is possible with social media.
How are you going to celebrate National Book Lovers Day?